Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bionic Woman Needs Work


The Daily Mail writes that Demi Moore is unhappy with her career opportunities as a result of her age. Moore said:

"It's been a challenging few years, being the age I am. Almost to the point where I felt like, well, they don't know what to do with me. I am not 20. Not 30.

There aren't that many good roles for women over 40. A lot of them don't have much substance, other than being someone's mother or wife."

That's probably because women over 40 are usually mothers or wives. What type of role is she interested in that doesn't involve being a mother or a wife? Is it a cheerleader? A grad student? It's funny that Demi Moore isn't interested in playing that type of role because along comes a young starlet like Jessica Alba who's interested in playing a mother AND a wife. In an interview about continuing the Fantastic Four franchise, Alba said:
“I think the next thing we have to go through is having a baby. That’s what happens next,” Alba reiterated to MTV News last week. “Franklin comes along and the Fantastic Four have to deal with this powerful new child.”

I understand Moore's complaint about ageism but I can't recall ever lauding her acting skills in films like "Striptease" or "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle." She's a woman that's spent thousands of dollars on procedures like liposuction, breast implants, and collagen injections. I have a feeling it has less to do with age than it does her thinking she's entitled to roles strictly due to her sex appeal.

No comments: